Text Size

Motor Vehicle/Driver's License

Paynesville's Motor Vehicle/Driver's License is located at the City Hall, 221 Washburne Ave.

Motor Vehicle/Driver's License Hours

Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
No appointments needed except for testing.
For questions, call City Hall at (320) 243-3714

Online Services

Driver's License Testing
Road tests are given every Thursday from 9:00am to noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

Class D knowledge tests are offered every Wednesday from 8:30am to 3:30pm.

Appointments are required for road tests and Class D knowledge tests.
Schedule road test appointments online at https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/default.aspx 
Schedule written tests by calling 320-243-3714.

Motor Vehicle

Forms, Documents and Manuals
Information required

Every owner, when applying for motor vehicle or motorcycle registration, renewing their tabs, or transferring ownership, must provide information showing that the motor vehicle or motorcycle is covered by an insurance policy. Owners will need to provide the following information under the new law: 

  • Name of insurance company
  • Policy number
  • Expiration date of the policy

Driver's License
Driver's License renewals can be done Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.  Social Security Numbers are required on Driver's License Applications.
Pre-Apply For Driver's License
Forms and Documents

In order to board a plane and fly within the USA after May 3rd, 2023, you will need either a REAL ID, an Enhanced ID, a passport card, or passport book. The REAL ID is the same price as your normal ID or license but requires extra documentation. Visit https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/real-id/Pages/required-documents.aspx for more information.

MN DNR Home Page 
Bill of Sales

A bill of sale signed by the current registered owner is required in order to transfer an ATV, snowmobile, or non-titled boat. The bill of sale can be hand written but must be detailed and include the serial number of the vehicle.